Site Meter



Saturday, December 17, 2011

My favorite prechristmas childhood memory

My mom was always pretty frugal, denying herself so many necessities and pleasures to go carefullcrazy with her Christmas Preparations. Her repertoire was simple and came from her mothers little black hand written cook book and her much treasured Purity Cook Book.Gingerbread men, butter tarts,popcorn balls,and shortbread cookies trialed by my Nana Fuller, adopted by my mother and never duplicated quite as successfully by moi.She only made them once a year and when they were gone they were gone, so she baked generally 2 or 3 days before Christmas. That same week we put up our tree, always a real fir, brought home by Dad on his last hunting trip and always the best tree we ever had.I can still see the alcohol bubbling lights and delicate silver and gold balls sparkling in the basement Rumpus Room. Missing you Nanabanana.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Mesa Vista West, Okanagan, Canada