Site Meter



Friday, December 14, 2012

Best First Country Christmas rememberings

Bear with me Dear Reader.....I am very emotional at present as I psych up for Op day and thoughts of being alone over Christmas is making me even more so.....there will not be enough Baileys and chocolate.
We were comfortable, warm and incredibly blissful the first Christmas in our house on what for years we referred to as our New Land.This was a 13 acre parcel of land across from the back of Elk Island National Park. I was living my dream, finally a ranch woman, with a new puppy,Lady,first horse,Cinnamon and so many possibilities ahead of us. Snow covered the tops of the 6 foot fence posts when we bundled up 3 yr old Laurie and 1 year old Coco to hunt for the perfect Christmas tree on our New Land.The kids were wrapped in sleeping bags and were warm and happy sitting in a box laced to a toboggan. Hot chocolate, sandwiches and cookies packed, we set out ax in hand to find the perfect Christmas tree in our new back 13. It was cold, exhausting to maneuver the deep snow with kids almost rendered nearly immobile,obliterated by their snow suits and scarfs. Lady jumped through the drifts, happy beyond description and we sang Christmas Carols the whole time. It was a gift beyond what I could have imagined for me....my beautiful family, our new land and our whole life ahead of us with good friends and new much dreamed of experiences. The first Little needing to go "peeps" brought our little caravan back to earth, the tree was cut, the lunch eaten and the trek back home was made. I can still see our house on the hill we poetically named Whisper Ridge, Christmas lights shinning through the snow, buffalo walking along the fence line. It was the best of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Mesa Vista West, Okanagan, Canada