Site Meter



Thursday, June 24, 2010

Rant of the day

It has been my experience in the last few years that my thoughtful and unexpected gifts to friends and family have gone unacknowledged. A huge fan of the RAK's of the 90's started my penchant for surprising folk with small gifts of money, gift cards, chocolate etc. That was until I realized of late, I had not a clue if the gifts were received, unless I enquired usually getting an oh yeh...thanks for the money.Granted I was sending via Canada Post for the most part...hmmmm.I was perplexed and curious so decided to seek out an experts advice in the possibility of a new trend in etiquette having taken hold of our culture with out consulting moi.Dear Reader, join me in welcoming my guest blogger...Miss Manners.

Gentle Reader: Because you were not certain that your friend had even received the present and had no idea about her reaction to it, Miss Manners gathers that this is not a question of supplementing verbal thanks with written thanks; there were no thanks at all until you happened to call.

Therefore, Miss Manners would reply:

"Really? Tell me more about your culture and its rules. Do people keep giving presents and doing favors without any feedback? What stops them from getting discouraged when their efforts are met with silence? Or is it not the custom to be either generous or grateful? Thank you MM for you're succinct reply.

OK, I get it; Miss Manners and thank you etiquette...I am officially addled.

1 comment:

About Me

My photo
Mesa Vista West, Okanagan, Canada